Heartworms and your pet
- On average 7 out of 10 mosquitoes in a heartworm-positive dog's kennel carry heartworm.
- A heartworm-positive dog in the neighborhood substantially increases the risk of infection to healthy dogs.
- It takes approximately 6 months after being bitten by an infected mosquito for a dog to test positive for heartworms.
- Heartworm treatment can cost more than 15x that of a year of preventative.
- There are 22 different mosquito species in the US that carry heartworm and they are active at different times of the day and year.
- 75% of vets surveyed diagnosed heartworm in 2013.
For more information visit, https://www.heartwormsociety.org/
Saltgrass Retriever News